Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I ate a brussel sprout! (I actually ate several)



Disclaimer: I stole this picture from Food Network. I should have taken a picture of my actual dish, but I forgot...and then we ate them all. But this photo is VERY close to what mine looked like. Anyway, the most important part of this post is that I ate brussel sprouts! Remember me, the woman that judges vegetables without trying them? Yes me. All I've known about brussel sprouts is that they are often fodder for TV sitcoms and commercials where children refuse to eat them and/or sneak them to the dog under the table. Based on that information (as a child, I believed everything I saw on TV) I have never given them a chance. No matter what people in my life said, I decided that brussel sprouts must really be bad if no one on TV will eat them.

After a recommendation from a friend (thanks again Laura!) I decided to take the plunge. I bought a package of fresh sprouts at the store last week and promised myself that I would make them for dinner this week. I had to make that promise because I'm notorious for buying new veggies and then "forgetting" about them while they go bad in the refrigerator. Tonight I tossed them in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper...then I roasted them for about 30 minutes. May I just say...."Yum!" I was not hopeful. I will admit that the entire time they were cooking (they were a side dish to pork chops, btw) I just kept thinking..."These will not taste good." "Maybe I should make another side just in case." Very pessimistic on my part, for sure. I was pleasantly surprised that not only did I enjoy them, but I would actually eat them again! It's a brand new day...my name is Tara and I fear no vegetable!

No comments:

Post a Comment